Saturday, November 10, 2007

Christmas music

William Studwell states that at least 10,000 Christmas songs, both secular and sacred, have been written and that number might be twice or three times more. He also said that most people, depending on culture, national and international fame, know between forty and fifty. That does say something.

Since this is my favorite time of the year, I enjoy listening to a variety of Christmas music from Acappella to Mannheim Steamroller, some country and some contemporary Christian. Among my favorites are some of the old folk music groups such as Peter, Paul and Mary, the Kingston Trio, the New Christy Minstrels and the Brothers Four. The two middle groups have had me researching a song from each of their cds. It is amazing what we can listen to over and over and then it captures our attention.

Another observation by Studwell is that good and lasting carols occur in groups. America had a group in the middle of the 1800s, England in the middle of the 1700s. However, the 20th century wasn't so good to sacred carols. Almost all the songs that became popular in the 20th century were secular songs around the Great Depression, World War II and shortly after. Considering that the 20th century was very secular, and that secular answers seem to be the ones most tried, the religious aspects of the holiday faded by the end of the century. It has made me think about this change and conflict between the religious and secular we know see.

Of all the songs of the 20th century, only two, in my mind, that were sacred managed to become somewhat popular here in the US. I Wonder as I Wander was one and Mary, Did You Know? was the other. The former can be sung congregationally but I haven't yet heard the latter sung that way.

I have my favorites throughout all of this. If you have any, let me know. We can compare notes.

No comments: